Pilot Energy’s application to declare a greenhouse gas storage formation has progressed to the final stage and is now with the Minister for Resources and Minister for Northern Australia for decision.
This journey started in December 2022, following the submission made by the WA-31-L joint venture to declare a greenhouse gas storage formation over the 72km2 oil production licence area.
The WA-31-L joint venture, composed by Triangle Energy at 78.75 per cent and Pilot Energy for the remaining 21.25 per cent, was advised on 12 January 2024 that the application has progressed to the final stage and is now with the Minister for decision.
Another recent milestone for Pilot was entering into an memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Capture6 to assess the potential deployment of an innovative water processing and direct air CO2 capture technology within Pilot’s Mid West Clean Energy project.
The MoU provides a framework for the parties to assess potential deployment of the Capture6 technology within the Mid West Clean Energy project.
Successful deployment of the Capture6 system could replace the need for standard saltwater reverse osmosis, eliminating the need to manage reverse osmosis by products and potentially producing additional revenue streams associated with drawdown and storage of atmospheric CO2 via an integrated direct air capture system.
Pilot holds a 100 per cent operated interest in the 8,605km2 permit located in shallow waters offshore Western Australia encompassing the Dunsborough oil fields, and Frankland gas field and the Leander complex gas target identified by Pilot’s technical team.
Results of recent technical data set review have focussed on the large Leander Complex gas 4 prospect located 15km west of the Cliff Head oil platform and three oil prospects south of Cliff Head.
Within the gas fairway, Pilot is also progressing a review of the resource potential of Harrier, Hawk and other prospects identified on sparse 2D seismic.
3D seismic will be required to further de-risk these opportunities prior to drilling.