Origin, Falcon spud Beetaloo appraisal well

Joint venture partners Origin Energy and Falcon Oil & Gas have announced the spudding of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 appraisal well in the Beetaloo Sub-Basin in the Northern Territory.

Kyalla 117 N2-1 is the first well in the stage two drilling program to target the Kyalla shale liquids rich gas play.

A vertical pilot hole will target a total vertical depth of around 1750 metres in to the Kyalla Formation.

Subsequently, a horizontal section is planned for around 1000 metres that will be drilled, completed, simulated and production tested in the prospective Kyalla shale reservoir interval.

The objectives of the drilling are to: penetrate the Kyalla Formation to assess hydrocarbon maturity, saturation and reservoir quality; provide further information on the areal distribution of the Kyalla Formation; and collect data for the subsequent horizontal drilling, completion, simulation and production testing.

Falcon chief executive Philip O’Quigley said, “The spudding of the Kyalla 117 N2-1 appraisal well is an exciting development for Falcon and marks the re-commencement of the drilling program with our JV partner.”

Origin, as operator, will drill the well. Origin holds a 70 per cent interest in the project, while Falcon owns the remaining 30 per cent.

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend